Six Problems Your Home May Have That Can Instantly Turn Buyers Off (with Easy Fixes!)
Potential buyers are much more likely to return to a home that impresses them at first glance, while homes that appear disorderly or poorly maintained seldom sustain buyer interest.
Here are six problems that you may not know that you could fix rather quickly to making your home more sellable and it won’t break the bank or burn a whole in your pocketbook.
- Problem: Home Odors. Because homeowners become desensitized to the odors in their homes, they rarely realize how obvious odors can be to visitors. Easy Fix: It’s a good idea to walk through your home regularly to do a nose check — sniff in closets, your children’s rooms, bathrooms, the kitchen. Often times food can drop behind a piece of furniture and rot. Its a good idea to follow your nose. Usually a thorough cleaning and inspection of your home, followed by a carpet cleaning, will clear up home odor problems. Deodorizers and air fresheners will help you keep the home smelling clean. If you can’t locate the source, you may want to call a professional fumigator.
- Problem: Carpet and Flooring. One of the most visible areas of your home is your flooring. There is nothing that turns a potential buyer off than a dirty carpet or vinyl flooring coming up. Easy Fix: For instance your carpet is worn or dirty, get it replaced or cleaned. If you have vinyl flooring with corners coming up, think about getting it glued down. Special note: If you have the extra money maybe you might want to invest in replacing flooring in smaller areas, such as kitchens, with high quality flooring. This can bring in premiums in price!
- Problem: Paint and Walls. Drab color paint on your walls can look awfully dull especially if you don’t have pictures hanging our artwork on your walls. Easy Fix: Paint is one of the least expensive ways to “spruce-up” your home. Consider painting interior walls and doors.
- Problem: Clutter. Excess clutter is a big buyer turn-off. Easy Fix: You have to move anyway, so you might as well pack away items that make your home feel good to you, but turn off buyers. This includes nick-knacks, pictures, wall hangings, plants, etc.
- Problem: Signs of Pests. Do you have any signs of mice, rats, roaches, spiders? Easy Fix: Go down to your local Home Depot or Lowes and purchase some bug spray or some humane mouse/rat traps to get rid of your infestation. Remove all spider webs with a broom. If you have bees, the best thing for you is to call an exterminator to have it properly removed and you not get stung!
- Problem: Landscaping. If your landscaping is messy, overgrown, or looks cluttered in any way, you need to fix it. Easy Fix: Pull out weeds, mow the lawn, trim up your bushes or even purchase a few flowers and plant them.
If you are new to the New Jersey area, and would like a friendly, hassle free place to meet New Jersey residents and learn more about the area, visit my Facebook page @ Sujatha Bhaskara – Keller Williams Realty New Jersey